KRRIA: Dr Kamalesh Roy Research Idea Award
Dr. Kamalesh Roy Research Idea Award is a gesture of humble commemoration of the the selfless contributions of (Late) Dr Kamalesh Chandra Roy in the field of dentistry and his immense societal contributions during his lifetime and beyond.
KRIAA aims to encourage, recognize, strengthen and support undergraduate research in India in the field of healthcare, biological sciences and other relevant fields of science and technology.
The award is an one time cash prize amount to the winner.
About Dr. Kamalesh Chandra Roy:
Dr. Kamalesh Chandra Roy was the first dentist of Berhampore town, district Murshidabad, West Bengal, India. He was born on 11th of July, 1940 as the eldest son to (Late) Dr. Kshitish Chandra Roy and (Late) Mrs Renubala Roy, in a small village in Lakhshyam, now in Bangladesh. He is popularly known as “The GOD of Dentistry” in Murshidabad district (West Bengal). On January 21st, 1960, he completed his first undergraduate degree, B.Sc. Chemistry (Hons) from University of Calcutta. On, February 13, 1964, Dr Kamalesh Chandra Roy qualified as a Dental Undergraduate (Bachelor of Dental Surgery, BDS) from Dr R Ahmed Dental College and Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal. He was a merit student during his BDS education and completed the degree with Government scholarship.
Pertaining to his extensive experience as a practitioner (about tooth extractions in particular), he was popularly known to be a “Dentist with Longer Right Hand” amongst the general mass.
Dr Roy was a life time member of Indian Red Cross Society, West Bengal and was also an active member of Berhampore Lions Club. He pioneered in donating all armamentarium and establishing the presently running Dental departments in Students’ Health Home, Berhampore and Geriatric Society, Berhampore to impart free treatment to the needy. He was also one of the founder members of Indian Medical Association (IMA), Berhampore, Murshidabad.
His immense contribution to dentistry and society earned him the “Acknowledgment for Propagation of Dentistry ”at the 45th Annual conference, IDA West Bengal State Branch , November 21 – 22, 2009.
Who can apply?
KRRIA is an exclusive platform only for undergraduate students and interns from fields of science and technology and healthcare.
Application requirements and details:
- Applicant must be a registered participant at SALSI 2020. There is no separate cost for applying for KRRIA.
- Applicant must be a regular UG student (any field of science and technology) and or intern (medical / dental) presently studying in recognized university / institution.
- The application can be based on an innovative research idea or an ongoing project.
- The applicant should provide a signed copy of a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the head of the department / head of the institution / project investigator for participating in KRRIA.
- Selected applicants will be informed through email from email@example.com
- Selected applicants will present his/ her research project idea and/ or work at SALSI 2020 for the final round. Date and time will be intimated.